Monday, October 10, 2011

True Enough So Far

Only a couple of pages into this next section and I am already stopping to write a blog post.  I am intrigued with Brock and Balloun's research "into the psychological underpinnings of advertising," (27) selective exposure, and cognitive dissonance.  According to their research, it is interesting to think about that no matter what information is put out into the public sphere only certain people will pay attention to it if it goes along with their core beliefs.  As Farhad Manjoo explains,"we cunningly select the messages we consume" (30) based on our own personal comfort.  It is definitely an interesting concept to grasp and I am looking forward to learning more about how all of this plays out in the public sphere because it obviously has a major impact.

1 comment:

  1. Haley, I chose the same topic as you and was equally as intrigued as you were by the idea of Selective exposure. I think that it is very interesting to think about what things i selectively expose myself to as well as what other people selectively expose themselves to. I wonder now whether some people tune me out when i am talking to them. While i think its a very interesting topic, i wish that Manjoo had shown a little more respect to the veterans who protected Manjoo's rights and livelihood. If you really think about it, they risked their lives so that people like him could write this kind of strongly opinionated book.

    ReplyDelete