Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Kim's 72 Day Marriage


Kim Kardashian’s 72-day marriage has been all over the pop culture realm of the public sphere ever since rumors of her divorce to Kris Humphries got around.  As I sort through the multitude of articles and videos online one particular article and video interview with Kim’s mom, Kris Jenner, on the Today Show caught my attention.
The supposed-to-be “wedding of the year,” worth ten million dollars, came abruptly to a halt because it was apparently “not the fairytale she had hoped for.”  I was unable to find statements from Kim herself, however in this interview with Jenner, she explains how Kim feels “really sorry.”  Besides the short length of the actual marriage, this apology shocked me.  If you think about it, why is Kim apologizing- for making a huge deal out of her wedding and then getting divorced so soon?  She definitely has a lot of fans but regardless I don’t see the reason that she is apologizing for getting divorced.  According to the Forest Institute of Professional Phycology, the divorce rate in America for second marriages is 60% so it should not be that much of a surprise that someone so heavily involved in the media is one of this 60% seeing as a lot of celebrity marriages don’t ever seem to work out.
Jenner also commented that Kim didn’t want to let anyone down, and in response to this she commented multiple times that Kim is going to donate a generous amount of money to charity.  This to me seems to be a reoccurring theme with celebrities.  They seem to think that by writing a huge check to a good cause will free them from media drama.
From hearing and reading what Jenner said in this interview as well as looking at a few other sources I am interested to see what Kim herself will say to the public about her divorce and how people will react.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I cant believe she is getting divorced! I havent been up to date on my Kim following, but I must say Im glad she is single again. Sometimes a marriage just doesnt work out. I dont know why she feels the need to apologize, but I agree with you that the check wont do her much do except possibly bring more unwanted attention. Also a ten million dollar wedding is why people hate celebrities, so hopefully some of the ten mill can go towards something better

    ReplyDelete